August 09, 2015

MY FAVOURITE BROWN EYELINERS


From left to right: MAC Coffee, MAC Teddy, Charlotte Tilbury Rock n Kohl in Barbarella Brown, KIKO Intense Colour Long Lasting Eyeliner in 03 Pearly Bronze
Over the past year or so, I have amassed quite a collection of brown eyeliners. I find myself using brown eyeliners quite a lot more than I would black, as I find that they don't look as stark against my pale complexion, and I love smudging out brown eyeliner to make an eye look a bit more smoky. I also find that lining the lashline with brown eyeliner rather than black still makes the eye look more defined, but it looks more natural and not as noticeable. Since I own so many brown pencil eyeliners, I thought I would narrow it down to my top four. Here they are, in the same order as swatched:

This is the first brown eyeliner I bought, and even now it is still one of my favourites. This is my favourite brown eyeliner to line my upper lashline with when I want to give my eyes some extra definition without the harshness of a black eyeliner. This eye pencil is a dark, muted brown colour. The consistency of this pencil is quite dry compared to some others that I have, but I don't mind too much as it means that I know I can draw a straight, definite line with it and it will not smudge throughout the day. However, I find it quite hard to do a more smudgy eyeliner look with this liner because it is so dry, and when smudged out, it can go quite patchy at times. It also doesn't last in the tightline or waterline for very long at all, maybe about an hour before transferring under my eye.

MAC 'Teddy' Eye Kohl
This is the perfect warm brown eyeliner. This eye kohl is a warm, dark bronze colour that I love to wear smoked out on my lashline, as it really makes my green eyes pop. The consistency of this pencil is much creamier than MAC Coffee, and its lasting power is also much stronger. I also love using this pencil to define my eyes, by drawing a straight line against my upper lashline. This pencil also looks great smudged underneath the lower lashline. For testing purposes, I wore this eyeliner in my tightline and waterline one day and it lasted for about 4 hours, but personally, I don't really like wearing this colour in my tightline or waterline, as I prefer darker browns.

Charlotte Tilbury Rock n Kohl Liquid Eye Pencil in 'Barbarella Brown'
Although I only bought this eye pencil recently, it is already my favourite eye pencil that I own. This eyeliner does it all. It looks amazing smoked out on the upper and lower lashlines. I also use it to line my upper lashline sometimes, as it stays put all day. This eye pencil is a dark chocolate brown colour. It is quite dark, so it gives the definition of a black eyeliner, but it is a bit softer. My favourite thing about this eyeliner is its lasting power. I wear this on my tightline all the time, and it lasts for about 8 hours without transferring at all. It also lasts for about 6 hours on my waterline. Since this is a kohl eyeliner, it is very creamy, and it glides on so smoothly on the eyelid and the tightline. These eyeliners are by far the best pencil eyeliners I have ever used, and I have my eye on the other colours in the collection too.

KIKO Intense Colour Long Lasting Eyeliner in '03 Pearly Bronze'
I got this eyeliner on a recent trip away, and I have been wearing it ever since! This eyeliner is an amazing coppery bronze colour that looks great against my complexion and green eyes. This eyeliner is very creamy, so I love wearing it smudged out on my upper and lower lashlines. Since it is so creamy, it doesn't last on the tightline and waterline at all, so you can only really wear it on the actual eyelid. For the price, this eyeliner is great, and it comes in a variety of colours. It smudges very easily, but once it sets, it doesn't move.

These brown eyeliners are all great, and I use each one frequently. Although brown eyeliners can seem boring, they are very handy to have in anyones makeup bag, as sometimes black eyeliner can be too harsh and noticeable. I love brown pencil eyeliner, and I find myself using it much more often than any other eyeliners, as they are so quick, versatile and easy to use.