August 28, 2015

MY SCHOOL MAKEUP ROUTINE


As I am finally officially allowed to wear makeup to school this year (although I have worn tinted moisturiser, mascara, concealer and powder to school in previous years), I have come up with a 10 minute makeup routine that I can  do before school every day, that is quick, easy and long-lasting, especially as I will not really have any time to touch up my makeup throughout the school day. Before I start, I would like to say that although we are now allowed to wear makeup to school, I am not saying that this means that everyone MUST wear makeup. I am going to wear a light amount of makeup as I feel more confident and prepared for the day when I do, and as I enjoy doing my makeup every day, it is not a chore to me. I have many friends who do not enjoy doing their makeup, so they probably will not wear makeup to school, or if they do, maybe wear very little of it. There are also people I know who will probably wear a lot more makeup than me to school, and if that makes them feel more confident and ready for the day, then I don't see any problem with it! I just thought that I would do this post to help anyone who does want to start wearing makeup to school and would like some inspiration. I would also like to say that most of the products that I am using are quite high-end and quite expensive, but these are the products that work best for me, and there are some products that I have been using almost daily for the past year, and I still have not had to purchase a new one. You also do not need to buy the exact same products as I am using, you can obviously use your own versions of the same product as they are the ones that work for you. You also do not have to do the exact same amount of steps as me, you could apply less or more makeup if you wanted to. 

Before applying any makeup, I make sure to cleanse and moisturise my face, as the makeup will go on better and last longer throughout the day. Once I have done this, I prime my face for makeup using the Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Primer. This is my favourite primer as it gives my quite dry skin a glow, and it also helps the rest of the makeup to stay on longer throughout the day. This is quite pricey, but I share it with my mum, who also uses it every day. This product also lasts a long time as you don't need to use too much.

After priming, I apply my base. For school, I like quite a light, natural-looking base, so I prefer to use tinted moisturiser over foundation if I can help it. My favourite tinted moisturiser is the NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, and I have been wearing this to school most days for the past year and I still have around half of the product left! I only use a small amount, and I buff it into my skin using a foundation buffing brush, such as the Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush or the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. If I am having a particularly bad skin day, I will use foundation, but I prefer using tinted moisturiser as it is much quicker to apply and has a more natural finish on the skin. 

After applying my tinted moisturiser, I like to apply concealer under my eyes and on any blemishes or redness I have. My favourite concealer to use for this is the Charlotte Tilbury Retoucher Concealer, as it is a liquid, and although it is feels quite light on the skin, it has a fair amount of coverage. I also love this as it is extremely easy to apply and it blends into the skin very quickly, making it the perfect concealer for when you are in a rush before school!

After concealing, I will set my makeup using my favourite translucent powder, the NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder. I love this powder as it doesn't cake on my dry skin, but it still sets my makeup and helps it to last longer. A great drugstore alternative is the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in 'Transparent', as it also sets makeup and reduces shine, but doesn't look cakey on the skin!

After I have powdered, I will move onto eyebrows. As I have quite thick but uneven eyebrows naturally, it is essential that I fill them in slightly, and brush the hairs into shape. My favourite brow product for brushing the brow hairs and filling in my brows is the Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift in 'Cara D'. If you would like to know more about this product, I also talked about it in my 'July Beauty Favourites' post!

After filling in my brows, I will move onto eye makeup, and the only eye makeup I apply for school is mascara. My favourite mascara to use for school is the Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes Mascara, as with just one coat, it makes my lashes look much longer, but it still looks quite natural. I also love this mascara because no matter how many coats of it I apply onto my lashes, it never clumps!

Next, I will apply a very small amount of a neutral blush to the apples of my cheeks. As I have very pale skin, my favourite blush for this is the Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Blush in 'First Love', which I posted a review on here. I love this blush because it is very natural looking on my skin, but it still adds a hint of colour to the cheeks.

The last step of my school makeup routine is lip balm. My favourite lip balm to use for school is the Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in 'Peach Kiss', as it hydrates the lips while adding a hint of colour and glossiness at the same time. It is also very affordable, and as I am constantly reapplying it throughout the day, I don't want to use an expensive product that I would have to replace frequently.

It may seem like I am applying quite a lot of makeup for school, but I am only using 8 products, and apart from the lip balm and maybe powder, I will not be reapplying any makeup throughout the day. I am also wearing very small amounts of each product, as I want to still look quite natural, but polished. As I said already, you can obviously wear more or less makeup than me to school if you want to, and use your own products that you already own that work for you.