August 14, 2015

NARS SHEER GLOW REVIEW


Left: NARS Sheer Glow swatched on my arm (Not blended)
Right: NARS Sheer Glow half blended into my skin
After seeing so many beauty bloggers rave about NARS Sheer Glow Foundation last year, I decided to go to my local NARS counter in Brown Thomas Dublin. The lovely girls at the counter gave me a generous sample of it to try in the palest shade, Siberia, which when swatched, looks far too yellow for my skin, but once blended in is a perfect match for my very fair skin. As soon as I tried the sample of this foundation, I knew it was the perfect foundation for me, and I bought it as soon as my sample ran out!

This foundation has a medium coverage, but you could sheer it out to get a lighter coverage or apply more to get a heavier coverage depending on your needs. I apply about half a pump of this foundation with my Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush, and it evens out my skin tone and covers most blemishes. This foundation spreads very easily and is quite runny, so you do not need much of it. With half a pump, I get a medium coverage. If I ever need a bit more coverage I will use one full pump. This foundation is also very easy to blend, and with moisturiser on underneath, it doesn't cling to dry patches or cake at all. Once blended in, this foundation has a very natural finish that isn't too glowy or dewy, but it isn't completely matte either, and it makes your complexion look flawless.

This foundation lasts really well, although even though I have very dry skin, it does get a bit oily around my T Zone after about 6 or 7 hours, and I may need to powder again. I do find that this foundation goes on better and lasts a bit longer with a primer. As I have dry skin, I like to use a more illuminating primer, such as the Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Primer, but sometimes during the summer when my skin is a bit oilier I like to use the NARS Pore Refining Primer, which is a great mattifying primer for oilier skins. I also powder my T Zone after applying this foundation with my NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder, which helps to keep my T Zone matte for as long as possible.

The only downside to this foundation is that it doesn't come with a pump. As it is quite expensive already at €41, it is a bit annoying having to pay an extra €4 for the matching pump for the foundation. I don't mind this too much though, as the pump can be removed, so you only need to buy the pump once and you can use it with all bottles of Sheer Glow that you buy in the future. There have also been some complaints about the pump, as if you fit the pump to the bottle, you can not put the lid on over it, which caused people to panic that the foundation may leak out of the pump when travelling, or in their makeup bag, but you can actually lock the pump by turning it, so no product will leak out. Some people are worried that the pump will unlock when they are travelling, but I have travelled on both long haul and short haul trips with this foundation and the pump has never leaked!

NARS Sheer Glow is definitely my all time favourite foundation (although I only have four), and I would recommend it to all skin types and skin tones who want a glowy but not shiny finish, as NARS has a fantastic shade range for both light and dark skin tones. Although this foundation is quite expensive, a little goes a long way, and one bottle will last you a long time! I would also advise that you head to your nearest NARS store or counter if possible to get a sample and a shade match, so you can try it out before you buy.